Re: Repository download speed? Any way to improve?

David C. Rankin wrote:
Listmates,

	After my initial install, loading packages from core, extra and community I
was limited to an average of 58K downstream bandwidth. for kdemod-legacy (and
normally) I see the full 136K that my pitiful 1M down provides. Currently I
have the repositories defined in pacman.conf in the default manner:

[core]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
[extra]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
[community]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

	Do I need to specify individual mirrors that would work better for my location
in TX? If so, where can I get a list that will let me see the closest ones? Thanks.

P.S. I apologize for the rapid-fire questions, I'm just trying to make friends
with Arch. The questions will taper off soon.

The mirrorlist file that you see reference 3 times in the pacman.conf is telling pacman which mirror to use. IIRC, by default the mirror list points to the main arch site, but that site intentionally has bandwidth limitations placed on it in order to encourage people's use of the mirror sites. So edit the mirror list making a different mirror have higher priority (i.e., appearing earlier in the file) and that should solve the problem.

For example, my mirrorlist file lists a load of mirrors, all commented out. Then at the end of the file I added:

Server = http://mirror.rit.edu/archlinux/$repo/os/x86_64
Server = http://archlinux.unixheads.org/$repo/os/x86_64
Server = http://mirrors.easynews.com/linux/archlinux/$repo/os/x86_64

HTH,