Re: unable to associate wlan0 during network start

Sergey Manucharian wrote:
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 13:22:31 -0400
Adam Stokes <adam.stokes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

/etc/rc.d/network start fails with
Could not associate wlan0 - try increasing WIRELESS_TIMEOUT and check
network is WEP or has no security.

However, running dhcpcd wlan0 when system is up works. I dont use wep
but have wireless mac filters setup on the router and I've increased
the WIRELESS_TIMEOUT in /etc/conf.d/wireless. Has anyone run into this
recently?

specs:
2.6.29-ARCH, x86_64
using iwl3495 driver, intel pro/wireless 3945abg

Thanks

I would suggest using "netcfg" (/etc/rc.d/net-profiles). I found it
much more suitable and flexible for wireless networks. It works fine
for me for long time with and without wep/wpa.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Netcfg

"wifi-select" package can be useful as well, it actually can use the
profiles created for "netcfg".

Cheers,
Sergey

+1 on the netcfg recommendation.  It works pretty flawlessly for me.

I don't use it daily, as I prefer a GUI solution like knetworkmanager for desktop use, but I still use it frequently - i.e., when knetworkmanager is broken or flakey, or if I'm working from a command line only - and it's great.

DR