Re: Bug reports for out of date packages?

Aaron Griffin wrote:
On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 7:02 PM, Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2009/4/6  <hollunder@xxxxxx>:
On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 00:37:14 +0200
Ondřej Kučera <ondrej.kucera@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

Arch's packages usually (almost always) get updated pretty fast and
the system "don't create a bug report, just flag the package out of
date to get dev's/TU's attention" works fine. But sometimes there
exist packages both in community and in extra (I'm not sure about
core but maybe even there) that don't get updated even after a
significant time from the upstream's release (e. g. swt, amarok, jre
or jdk from the nearest past). Shouldn't there be a time limit (two
weeks? a month?) after which it would be OK to create a bug report?
That way there could be a discussion about why that package
hasn't/couldn't be updated and everyone would know where to look for
the reasons without having to go through mailing list archives, bbs
and so on.

Just a thought though.

Ondřej

I wondered about that as well.
For example jack-audio-connection-kit, qjackctl and ardour, all in
extra, have been out of date at least since I joined arch, and I
believe this was around October/November. Mailing the maintainer didn't
help.

Philipp

Send a mail to the mailing list if the maintainer doesn't respond
(preferably attach the PKGBUILD you updated)

This is probably the best way - send an updated PKGBUILD that you've
personally tested and you know works fine. This is generally how I've
been doing gnucash anymore, as I stopped using it, but I get regular
updates from people who like the package and test it

If you're looking for "multiple maintainers", this is probably the
best way, even if it is informal

Maybe we should have some way of sorting packages by how long they have been flagged out of date. Two that come up on the forums a lot recently are gmpc and obex-data-server so I will push updates sometime tomorrow if no-one else does...

Allan