Re: How to change default terminal from xterm

Leonid Grinberg wrote:
On my desktop machine, it seems like any time a GUI app needs to launch a
console app, the default is to launch it in an xterm window.  But as I'm a
hardcore KDE user, I'd like to change that default to konsole. Wasn't able
to figure out where this setting is to override it, however.  "set | grep
xterm" didn't turn up much of relevance, and I couldn't see any KDE setting
to override it either.  Anyone know how to tweak this?

It depends on a lot of things, including your DE. It sounds like you
are using KDE;
if you are true a hard-core KDE user, you are probably using KDE 4.x,
in which case
you can set it in systemsettings > default applications. Otherwise
it's somewhere in kcontrol.
In GNOME, it's something like "Preferred Applications".

So basically, this is a non-answer. I'm trying to say, that there's
probably no global way to do this without just symlinking xterm to
konsole 8)

Right, there is no truly global way of doing this. In practice,
though, this is really the purpose
of a DE and you should be able to set it fairly easily.

--
Leonid Grinberg

Bummer! It really is a pain having my apps (MySQL Administrator, in this case) open up an xterm with its tiny little fonts.

I'll see what I can do about setting this for both KDE and GNOME, and then have to just hope for the best.

Thanks,

DR