Re: x264, mplayer, ffmpeg rebuild?

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 1:34 AM, Scott Horowitz <stonecrest@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 4:23 PM, Pierre Chapuis <catwell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> To me, the only way to use an up-to-date mplayer is to compile it yourself
>> on your machine (by using one of the AUR packages).
>>
>> Making a binary mplayer package is very difficult and the result can't be
>> perfect for everybody because you have to make choices about what will be
>> enabled in it (and add deps) and what will not (but some users might want
>> it). It's the prototype of the package that should stay source-based if
>> possible.
>
> That may be so, but there are binary packages available. And while that is
> the case, they should be updated every so often. I mean, ffmpeg is almost 6
> months old and it's tied to revision 14236 - the current revision is 16380!
> We are 2000 commits behind, it's astounding.
>
> Not to mention I recently ran up into a bug where ffmpeg causes mpd to
> crash, and it's because the package is so out-dated. And there are other bug
> reports as well, dealing with other crashes and broken ogg support:
>
> http://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?string=ffmpeg&project=1
>
> So the question remains, will these packages be updated anytime soon?
>
> Back to your point about it being difficult to package - while I realize
> there are resource implications to this suggestion, I think the goal would
> be to have a couple different binary packages available to hit the most
> common uses, like is done with some other packages. I wouldn't throw up my
> hands and resort to compiling from source. Any idea how long it takes to
> compile mplayer on a p3? Trust me, it's not fun.
>
> Scott

I would add a feature request on flyspray to at least move mplayer to svn.
The mplayer developers have explicitly stated on the MLs many times that they
dont care about releasing.
Also I dont know who maintains the packages atm, but if the situation is as you
say maybe someone else can pick them up. One that actually uses them.

Greg