Re: KDE 4.2 and AUR Upgrading

2008/12/28 Leonid Grinberg <lgrinberg@xxxxxxxxx>:
> 1) Once 4.2 is released, how soon is it reasonable to expect that it
> will be in the repositories (not AUR).
Pierre is working on this [1]

> 2) If one installs a package from AUR, and then it is moved to the
> main repositories, does Pacman know that the two packages are the
> same?
If the packages (with the same pkgname) have the same pkgver and
pkgrel pacman will not update the package installed otherwise pacman
will update it with the version on repository.

> I am interested in this with regards both to this question and
> to others -- e.g. the main repositories currently have Amarok 1.4
> while AUR has 2.0. I am wary of installing it from  AUR because when
> it is moved to the main repositories, I don't know if Pacman will know
> how to handle the upgrade.
When Tpowa will update amarok-base at 2.0, amarok2 in AUR will be
obsolete and (probably) amarok-base 1.4 will put in AUR as amarok1.
Pacman will not remove your amarok2 to install the new amarok-base.

Regards

[1] http://archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2008-December/003401.html

--
Andrea `BaSh` Scarpino