Re: [arch-dev-public] pkgstats and repo cleanup

Grigorios Bouzakis wrote:
On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 8:16 AM, Allan McRae <allan.mcrae@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi devs,

I have created a table of candidates for removal from the extra repo based
on <1% usage in the pkgstats results.  I have gone through and flagged for
keeping packages which are i18n, makedepends, or otherwise needed (in pacman
testsuite, using on gerolde).  See the list here:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:Allan/Extra_Repo_and_Pkgstats

There is probably other categories of packages we should keep (e.g drivers)
and there are some fonts which might be considered i18n related so can you
all go through the list a cross out the ones to be kept and giving the
reason.

In a couple of weeks time I will remove all the orphaned packages remaining
on that list and contact the maintainers of the rest so they can decide what
to do with their packages.

Cheers,
Allan

Hi Alan,
Can i give some other extend to this?
I can understand why you limit the list to only packages with 0.xy
usage, but i think
theres much more to cleanup than just those packages. Orphan or not..
Just by looking at the statistics, for which we owe a huge thanks to
Pierre, its obvious
that more than 50% of the packages in extra have 10% or less usage.
Most of which
are below 5%.
While at the same time there are many packages in community with >10%. Those
should definately go in extra. Most of the developers use em too.
Also , many packages in extra, some of which are long unmaintained
upstream, many
multimedia & games packages come to mind but not limited to these.
Those could go to community and even be left unmaintained with a small
portion of
good will.
Anyway, all i am saying is dont focus only on packages having 0.xy usage.

Greg

Sure there is more to be done. I'm just starting at the extremes for the time being.

Allan