Re: [arch-dev-public] Cleaning up the base group

Thomas Bächler wrote:
Now that our installer installs the whole base group by default, I'd wish it would stick to the essential part. I suggest cleaning this up a bit:

Packages that IMO shouldn't be in base:
- dialog
Nothing depends on it, why do we even need it in core?
- hwdetect
Nothing uses it, we don't need that in core either
- ca-certificates, lzo2, openssl, wpa_supplicant
We need those in core, but really not in base
- dash
Nobody uses it by default, may IMO stay in core, but has no place in base

- ppp, rp-pppoe (plus libpcap dep)
Only few people need those, leave them in core, but remove from base
- tcp_wrappers
No base package needs them as far I know, leave in core, remove from base

We should also remove all packages from base that only are in there as a dependency of another package and for no other reason, as they will be pulled in when needed anyway.

Packages that we should think about:
- mdadm
- pcmciautils
- cryptsetup, lvm2 (plus their deps libgcrypt, libgpg-error, device-mapper)
Those are base tools, but not everybody needs them. I'd like to keep them in base, but maybe someone else may disagree.
- nano
Do we really need another editor in base? Let's leave it in core, remove it from base.

You should still make it possible to select which packages you want to install.

Glenn