Re: How to create archlinux install CD?

Karolina Lindqvist wrote:
I have a new i586 machine and want to install archlinux i586 on it. So I want to recreate the archlinux install CD. But how do i do it? I have unpacked the install ISO, and is replacing all the packages, but when it comes to inird.img, the instructions in the wiki do not work. I cannot mount the unzipped inird.img. What should I do? file say that it is a cpio archive, but how do I unpack and mount it? And then, what is lowcore.img?

Of course I could do it by booting debian, or something, and then replacing it with archlinux, but actually having an archlinux install CD would be pretty handy for my i586 machines.

cpio:
As I always forget the command to unpack cpio archives I generally use mc to look inside them. That's quite a good idea anyway, as some are badly built so that they unpack to / and make a mess of your file system if you are not careful. You don't need to (can't) mount it. I expect the command to unpack a cpio is on the man page. The correct command to recompress it after you've done your adjustments can be found floating around on the internet ... I think it's something along the lines of:

cd image
find . | cpio -o -H newc | gzip > ../initrd.img