Re: Boot sequence stops at modules (rc.sysinit)

Stephen Wilkinson wrote:
Hello everyone,

After upgrading the kernel alone (and after fixing some kernel panics
-- see postscript) the boot sequence now stops at loading the modules
([DONE]) and goes no further: the cursor blinks and I can type
characters, but I never get a shell prompt. It seems the boot sequence
doesn't go beyond rc.sysinit

The only reference I found to a similar problem is in the forum:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=323775
where it was suggested to try the fallback image and removing modules
from the rc.conf. I've tried both, but hasn't helped (as expected: the
kernel loads properly, so not an ramdisk problem, and the modules also
load as I get [DONE] status...).

Before this problem, I knew nothing at all about the boot sequence in
linux so I read this:
http://wiki.freegeek.org/index.php/The_Linux_Boot_Sequence

The next step after Loading modules is loading standard ACPI modules. Try adding these to the module blacklist in rc.conf:

ac battery button fan processor thermal

Glenn