problem with Firefox and Opera

I did a system upgrade yesterday (Friday 8 Feb). The following
(possibly relevant) packages were upgraded:

mesa
libgl
xorg-server
xf86-video-intel
firefox

After I did the upgrade, I shut down my box. When I restarted tonight,
Firefox kept crashing, and giving this error message:

The program 'gecko' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
  (Details: serial 1625746 error_code 11 request_code 53 minor_code 0)

Because it kept crashing, I tried Opera (which I use for testing and
as a backup). It started, but returned this message (which I had never
seen before):

opera: X Shared memory extension is not available. ZPixmap not supported

Because I am getting unusual errors in both browsers (and the errors
are related), I think this is at a lower level.

My system is a Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM and 400MB swap (which is not
used at the time Firefox crashes).

Has anyone else experienced any of these problems? Does anyone have
any suggestions?

Scott