Re: New User(sort of) and a packaging question

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Travis Willard wrote:

I think namcap ignores dependencies in the 'base' group, since
everyone is expected to have base installed, maybe?  I'm not 100% sure
of its internals in this sense.

That sounds like a reasonable possibility. To get an idea of whether it's more common to explicitly list base dependencies or leave them out I checked a couple of other packages that depend on ncurses. extra/editors/vim and aur/unsupported/alpine both depend on ncurses but don't have ncurses listed as a dependency. extra/network/irssi and extra/network/mutt, on the other hand, explicitly list ncurses as a dependency. So, it looks like there's a mixture in both official and aur based packages.

I'd say leave them in - they're clearly needed.

I looked through the Arch Packaging Standards page and didn't really get a clear impression on which is the preferred method, but I might have missed something. So, unless I hear otherwise, I'll explicitly list them.

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net
http://www.WacoAgilityGroup.org
Bruceville, TX