running two monitors

Hi all

I've been using Arch for a while now but one thing I can't get work the way I want is the two monitor setup. I don't use Xinerama but instead have two monitors set up with separate desktops, virtual desktops and icon sets. This suits the way I work much better than Xinerama. I only turn on the second monitor when I need to use it and here's the problem. If I turn it on after xorg has started then the monitor ( under KDE ) defaults to 1360 x 768 instead of 1024 x 768 that I have it set to. I can change the display settings and all is well until the next time. If I turn on the monitor before xorg starts then all is as it should be. I've used the configuration under Gentoo, Mandriva and Ubuntu with no problems. There appears to be something different in the way Arch is configured but so far I've not been able to find it. Has anyone got any ideas please?

TIA

Stewart