Soft vs Hard links for man pages

Hi all,

I was looking into bug FS#5392 [1] which details makepkg's inability to compress all man pages. Specifically, it fails when files are hard linked because gzip does not work on them. I have made a fairly simple fix for this. For a specific man page, it removes all other hard links, compresses the page and then regenerates the links.

When the links are regenerated, is it preferable that they are hard linked again or should they be soft linked? I am leaning towards hard linked because that is the way they were upstream. However, the script I used to use to compress man pages in LFS had an option to turn them into soft links, so there must have been demand for soft links. Note that with soft links, it would be the first file found by "find" that everything would be linked to and that may seem strange in some contexts. Probably another reason to stick with hard links.

Also, one of the comments in the bug report [2] mentions that bz2 files are not changed. I could at the same time add a change to convert these to gzip format but does that really matter? Both gzip and bzip2 are in core/base.

Finally, now pacman has been moved to git I really have no idea how to create a diff! Can anybody suggest a good git cheatsheet?

Cheers
Allan

[1]http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/5392
[2]http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/5392#comment15422