Re: How to run a backup server?

John Hudak wrote:
Hmmm well in *that* case, seems like your choices are:
1. pay for VPS
2. relax your constraint about 5 TB of data
3. build a server center from the ground up with reliable power (among
other things).

Pays yer money, takes yer choice. You may *like* to use a real DB, but
are you willing to pay for it?  Seems like an unresolvable conflict to me.

My point was more - it's not expensive or difficult to do what was originally asked for yourself! The database costs ME nothing, automatically handles replication between sites, and can be expanded to any size. Some firebird powered sites are runing databases in the hundreds of Gigabytes - and simply replicate critical business data across machines. Middle layer simply accesses an available machine.

I keep being told I can 'save money' by only paying for what I need using one of these virtual systems, but in my case I'd also have to loose capability to get things DOWN to the level I currently pay. There is no conflict ... the problem is more one of what you need the backup for? That will determin which is the best route.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL