Re: How to run a backup server?

Hello,

On 10 juin 2011, at 06:43, Wilson Hernandez wrote:

> I would like to know if there is a way to have another server somewhere
> else with the same dynamic content as a "backup" in case the main server
> is not available then the backup server would serve the pages.

Whatever solution you choose, it's not Apache related.
It's a very complex task, and the solution greatly depends on the price you are willing to pay.
If your problem is power-related, you need a second server far enough so that it won't be hit by the same power outage. The cheapest way is to allow for some downtime, and manually change DNS so that your domain names points toward one server or the other. The shorter your DNS TTL is, the shorter your downtime can be, but the more requests your DNS will have to handle. As for data replication, few shell script should help (mysql dump and rsync files every hour for example).
This is mostly handcrafted solution, but it's the cheapest.

Patrick PRONIEWSKI
--
Administrateur Système - DSI - Université Lumière Lyon 2