Re: Incomplete file downloads if Apache HTTPD is killed

On 09.05.11 16:26, Bostjan Skufca wrote:
> Yes, timeout is configurable, but that was the only lie there:)

well, apache2ctl is here only a scripts that calls apache2 -k ...

> > While talking about killed server and knowing that the file was
> > transferred - It's often impossible to know. The chunked encoding or the
> > Content-Length header are needed to know if the whole file was transfered.
>
> Chunked content encoding does not help here. Also, my experiments with
> few popular browsers has shown that they don't even try to support
> Content-Length correctly. I've been watching HTTP headers and correct
> Content-Length was specified, then I started a download and then
> killed the HTTPD child that served the download request before the
> download was completed. AND browsers did not even complain about
> failed download, they just stopped downloading with message "Download
> complete" or (if I selected to run the executable) complained about
> downloaded file being corrupt, but not incomplete.
>
> It does not work with gzip and Firefox too, just tried it. "Download complete."

> So here is the question again - is there something one can do with
> Apache (or Linux/other OS) that will change browser's behaviour in a
> way that it will report incomplete download to the user?

So it appears there in one, but it was reported that clients ignore it :)
--
Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar@xxxxxxxxxxx ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
Your mouse has moved. Windows NT will now restart for changes to take