Re: Load Balancing mod_webdav?

----- Original Message -----
> > This may be a stupid idea, but has anyone had any experience
> > load-balancing two Apache (2.2 in our case) servers that are running
> > mod_dav? We've searched and searched and it looks like it's just
> > something that no one at all talks about.
>
> I've been thinking about this for some time, but then decided that
> it's generally a stupid idea.
> Mostly because there are a couple dozen of Dav clients and all of
> them have their own interpretation of how to speak to a Dav Server.

Good point, we've definitely run into that!

> My idea back then was to have subversion read/write -- but that
> seems like a terribly stupid idea because you have no way to split
> it up properly.
>
> > We've got a setup in production where we've got Apache 2.2.17
> > servers
>
> That sounds like a bad idea. Have you considered starting with test?

Oh yeah, we tested the one-at-a-time setup like we're using in test first.  This is the result of that, not the start! :)

> > on two different machines (1 per machine) ,identical, each with
>
> What kind of storage do they sit on? This is crucial, because
> mod_dav works with FS locks.

Well, that complicates it I'm sure.  They've actually both got an NFS mount from a different box mounted as their WebDAV root.  The thing there is, why exactly is that a bad idea?  Is it "just" a matter of getting one file over-writing another one potentially or do you risk more serious issues than that?

Yes, we certainly could/should try FTP, SFTP/SSH, or SMB, but for a couple of reasons (partly work-flow, partly security) we'd rejected those.  We wound up at WebDAV only because it seemed like the only thing left.  We'd be open to any other ideas though.

> > mod_dav. They're both sitting behind a hardware load-balancer that
> > does a port rewrite sending traffic to only one of the two. We'd
> > like to let it round-robin between both, but were unsure whether
> > that was safe/wise/possible.
>
> Round-robin seems like the best idea, but only if you enable
> sticky sessions.

That's the thing though, given all the little quirks of WebDAV, the various issue with clients, and the NFS mount, is that safe/possible to let them round-robin?

Thanks!