Re: Configuring <Limit GET HEAD POST> in httpd.conf file.

On March 14, 2011 14:12 , Carmel <carmel_ny@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I do not need users from China to have access to my server. I would like
to use something like the list that follows to stop it. Unfortunately,
I am not sure exactly where in my httpd.conf file I should put this so
it works correctly.

<Limit GET HEAD POST>
order allow,deny
# Country: CHINA
# ISO Code: CN
# Total Networks: 1,927
# Total Subnets:  308,311,808
deny from 1.12.0.0/14
deny from 1.24.0.0/13
deny from 1.45.0.0/16
deny from 1.48.0.0/15
#more entries
#
allow from all
</Limit>

Normally, you would put the Deny directives in a <Directory /> or <Location /> stanza inside your <VirtualHost> stanza in order to have them apply to the entire file or entire URI namespace. You can put them inside of other <Directory> or <Location> stanzas, instead, if you'd like the Deny directives to apply less broadly.

Putting the Deny directives inside a <Limit> stanza -- as you have done above -- is discouraged. See the documentation at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#limit which says:

Access controls are normally effective for all access methods, and this is the usual desired behavior. In the general case, access control directives should not be placed within a <Limit> section.

I have never used it myself, so I don't know how good it is, but you may want to investigate using mod_geoip2 as an alternative to having a long list of networks in your configuration file. See

http://www.maxmind.com/app/mod_geoip
http://www.indiangnu.org/2010/how-to-install-geoip-and-mod_geoip2-on-centos-for-apache-2/
http://www.kaliphonia.com/content/linux/how-to-install-mod-geoip2-for-apache2-on-centos-server

The advantages should be:Â shorter, easier-to-read and easier-to-maintain configuration files; a more comprehensive list of networks for each country; no need to restart httpd when the list of networks for a blocked country changes.
--
  Mark Montague
  mark@xxxxxxxxxxx