Question about RewriteMap files on a NFS filesystem

Hello,

We have a bunch of rewrite rules that use four standard plain text rewrite maps (ie RewriteMap mymap txt:/some/file).    These rewrite maps only change about once a month, but when they do change, apache picks up the chances pretty much immediately.   I'm assuming that apache is doing a stat on the file every so often but I'm not really sure how ofter.  Does it do it per request or does it limit it to a time frame like once per second?   We've been using this setup in production for years and have never had any problems.    We have many machines in our cluster that have the exact same setup with the exact same maps, and when we want to make changes we have to do it on each machine.  All the machines in the cluster have a shared nfs/drbd/pacemaker file system and the first thought is "wow things would be some much cleaner if all these rewrite maps were located in a single place", but that's where my concern comes in.   What happens if these maps are on a shared NFS filesystem.   Will apache be able to pick up changes made to the file?   Will i start getting 100s of stats per second to the NFS filesystem?

Is there anyone that has any sort of advice or experience with this sort of setup?  Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Brian Hirt