Re: Problem in configuring two httpd services on one machine with two IPs

Hi Jaqui,
Thanks for the revert.
But we would need to have two instances of httpd, since this server,with 2 IPs, is going to mimic two of our production servers.

Can we setup another httpd without running the install?

Thinking on similar lines, I copied the /etc/httpd folder as /etc/httpd1.
Also I made a copy of /etc/init.d/httpd, /etc/sysconfig/httpd and /var/lock/subsys/httpd as httpd1
When I try "service httpd1 start", I get following error message:
(98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address xxx.xxx.xx.xx:80

Thanks,
Nish.

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 7:23 AM, J. Greenlees <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Nishit Shivnani wrote:
> Hello Team,
>
> I need some help from the Apache experts.
> I have a machine with Red Hat Linux OS and Apache HTTP Server 2.2.3. This
> machine has another IP installed on it.
> Now I need to have httpd service listening on port 80 and 443 for both the
> IPs of the server. For which I need to have two instances httpd running.
>
> I read the Apache Virtual Host documentation, and I feel I need to go with
> IP based Virtual Host and setup Multiple Daemons (
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/ip-based.html#multiple)
> For Multiple Daemon Setup, the page states : "Create a separate
> httpd<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/programs/httpd.html>
> installation
> for each virtual host.". When I try to run the Apache installer again, it
> says the software is already installed.
> Can anyone help me with the process of separate httpd installation for
> different IP on same server?
>
> Just for trying out a way that struck my mind, I did following:
> I tried to copy the folder created after first install i.e. /etc/httpd as
> /etc/httpd1 and edit the httpd.conf in httpd1. I edited following attributes
> ServerName to point to second IP, ServerRoot folder and PidFile.
> I also renamed the /etc/httpd1/httpd.conf to /etc/httpd1/*httpd1*.conf to
> point to httpd1.
> When I try to start the httpd1 service, by following statement : service
> httpd1 start. I get following output : "httpd1: unrecognized service"
>
> Thanks in anticipation of a solution.
>
> Thanks,
> Nish.

You only need 1 installation, and only have to start httpd once
the vhost config, set for the different ip addresses..
httpd will handle multiple ip addresses from one instance with no problems.