Architecture of HTTPD/Tomcat Handoff

Hi All,

I searched the archives but didn’t find anything related to this, so if this is a repeat I apologize.

We are using Apache HTTPD as a software load balancer distributing traffic to several Tomcat-based application nodes, and we’re performance testing to determine where our limitations are.

My question is: when a user hits the HTTPD server, and the server redirects them to Tomcat, will that user’s traffic continue to pass through HTTPD for every transaction, or will it be completely handed off to Tomcat and the HTTPD server washes it’s hands of the interaction?

Thanks,

Dan