Re: "Require group" help required

On 21 Feb 2011, at 09:12, Lee Goddard wrote:

Dear Apache Users,

I have been looking at a problem for so many hours now that I think it has made me blind.

The below configuration is intended to restrict access to /admin-cgi/ to members of the group "admin", which is defined in a plain text file, whilst users and passwords are in a DBM file.
[...]

    AuthGroupFile /Users/leegoddard/src/www/northfoto2/auth/northfoto_groups.db
1. What does the error log say?  Adjust LogLevel if necessary.
2. Is that a plain text file?
3. What "Satisfy" directive is in effect?  Set a specific Satisfy All to be safe.

The strange thing is, if I change the group file so that the line:

    adminjr: adminjr1 adminjr2

instead reads:

    adminj: adminjr1 adminjr2

then access is denied as expected.

In other words, a directory protected by Require group admin allows access to members of admin and adminjr but no other group.

If only LogLevel was more widely implemented...

The adminjr group is only defined once.

I have no idea how to proceed without playing with the Apache source, which I hoped to avoid.

Has no-one seen anything similar? Could it be a typo or oversight somewhere in my config?

Thanks
Lee