Re: SSL offload and load balancing with Apache2's mod_proxy and mod_balancer for Weblogic, Tomcat and Apache2

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Margus PÃrt <margus@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello!
>

> I had an idea, how to SSL offload and Load balance with Apache2 a bit
> differently, and I implemented it also.
>
> Basically there 2 Apache instances running on the same machine with
> different configurations, one for SSL offload, other for balancing - client
> -> SSL offload -> Balancer -> backend server.
>

> If anyone would give feedback, just in form: "I like it" or "it's useless",
> I'd be glad. More detailed and constructive feedback would be even more
> appreciated.
>

> Project homepage and referrals to .pdf and .odf files are:
> https://code.google.com/p/apache2-ssloffload-and-loadbalance/
>

> Best regards,
> Margus PÃrt

I didn't read any of your docs, but this is effectively how we have
been hosting our websites for about the last 3-4 years.

We have a pair of routers, which round-robin balances (with state)
each http requests onto one of a pair (or more, but currently a pair)
of boxes. These boxes all have the appropriate IPs of the hosted sites
assigned to their loopback (so that each machine can handle any
correctly routed request).
Each box has a pair of apache instances running on it, one running
apache-worker and doing SSL termination and proxying to the second
instance, running apache-event. The second instance serves all static
files, and proxys content from the application servers.
Each application is then split into a number of backends, and we use
mod_proxy_balancer on the proxies to manage which ones are active.

> one 1Ghz proccessor was enough and it's load was between 4-12

That's successful? If I look at graphs of our load average, it never
goes above 1.

Cheers

Tom