Re: apache as a front end to tomcat instance

----- "James Godrej" <jamesgodrej@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to use Apache as a front end to an application which runs
> on a Tomcat server.
> On lan I am able to correctly see it but from internet things are not
> working.
> I tried understanding mod_jk page but I was unable to get to the
> correct settings.

users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx knows ;)
We tell people to use mod_proxy_(ajp|http)

> following is the application I am trying to get up and running
> https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+2.7
> (the binary version of above page).
>
> apache vhost can be read here
> http://pastebin.com/L32D6ii5
>
> On lan it is accessible
>  http://192.168.1.4:8080/portal
> perfectly but from internet I am not clear as what is wrong with it.

It's probably not. You're probably having browser cache issues.

Does your back-end application knows it's running behind a proxy?
Does it know how to put the URLs together? Does it know it's running
on port 80 and in /portal?

It appears it doesn't, because it links stuff the CSS and the JS to
/library/skin/default/... and /library/js/... which are caught by your
catch-all reverse proxy.

If your application cannot be taught better, then you should use
mod_proxy_html to fix the markup yourself. See Nick Kew's article
http://www.apachetutor.org/admin/reverseproxies for a reference.

Given that it's a war deployed in tomcat it should be possible.

Igor GaliÄ

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx