Re: SQL Server authentication

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 06:06:16PM +0530, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
> On 01/11/2011 04:18 PM, Paolo DiCanio wrote:
> > The example on that page is for MySql. Unfortunately when using SQL Server,
> > the configuration is more complicated, because you can't simply configure
> >
> >      DBDriver mssql
> >
> > You have to use something called FreeTDS instead. If someone has actually
> > got SQL Server authentication up and running, I'd really appreciate it if
> > the could send me the steps, or just post their httpd.conf.
> >
> > Also, any information about how to configure multiple authentication methods
> > (passwd file and database), would be very helpful. If someone can confirm
> > whether or not this is even possible, please let me know.
> >
> APR (mod_dbd, mod_authn_dbd) supports ODBC (provided, apr_dbd_odbc.so or
> apr_dbd_odbc.dll exists in the system), which is independent of FreeTDS.
> MSSQL doesn't support ODBC?

It does, but my understanding is that ODBC drivers for MSSQL implement
ODBC APIs using the TDS protocol.  ODBC is just a common API to talk
to various specific drivers, which use various protocols to talk to
their proper backends.  According to http://www.freetds.org/ FreeTDS
includes an ODBC library, so you'd probably just need to install it,
describe it to your driver manager, and tell HTTPD to use it.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mwood@xxxxxxxxx
Asking whether markets are efficient is like asking whether people are smart.