Re: Re: httpd mod_jk cluster

Thanks for your input

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Jeroen Geilman <jeroen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 12/28/10 3:18 PM, Don Hill wrote:
What I really want to know is there a better design that I should use to gain performance.

Umm.. switch to using mod_proxy_ajp, as the apache documentation suggests ?

It offers a binary interface and much improved speed.

for example

1.) create multiple HTTPD servers, 2 servers per machine. Each serving 2 tomcats JVM

Why ? Because we are on 1.3 and the MaxClients is hard defaulted to 256. There are 4 JVM's behind one server and I believe that this could be a bottleneck, not allowing > 256 requests to be handled at a time.
Is your tomcat setup not multithreaded ? Sure it is but seems we are limited to the number of requests being served by httpd 1.3

2.) use load balancer in workers to handle the load balance to the JVM's. The current configuration is balancing through the vhosts and each vhost has a worker for a JVM instance.

That doesn't really make any sense. You can load balance connections, but what does "load balance through vhosts" mean ? ah, We have a F5 load balancer doing the balancing against the 4 vhosts for each application