Rewrite logs are empty (Apache 2.0.47)

Hi,

I am trying to write a few rewrite rules for on my Apache server (ver 2.0.47) for a specific virtual host. I know some rewriting happens but no log is getting generated. I searched on Google and found a lot of threads, unfortunately none of the ones I read solved my problem. I have done all of the following:

-Loaded the rewrite module
-RewriteEngine on
-RewriteLog log/filename
-Have set RewriteLogLevel to 9
-changed the log file to have 777 chmod access.
-restarted apache several times

But it is still empty. Can you tell me what I am missing?

The rewrite rules are defined within a virtual host as follows:

NameVirtualHost a.b.c.d:80

RewriteLog logs/mytestname-rewrite_log
RewriteLogLevel 9

I've tried the above both inside and outside the virtual host.

<VirtualHost a.b.c.d:80>
ServerName www.mytestname.com

RewriteEngine on

RewriteRule ^/offers/(.*)$ http://somehost.com/offers/$1\?show=default [NE,P,L]
RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ http://someotherhost.com/$1 [P,L]

</VirtualHost>

I have quite complicated rules to follow this, I am just trying to start with the smaller ones to get a hang of mod_rewrite. Rewrite seems to be happening because calls to www.mytestname.com successfully get proxied from someotherhost.com but the offers one doesn't work properly and a few other rules as well.

Thanks,
Sai