Lots of "Reading request" status connections with no IP

Hi,
I just saw the mention of "mod_reqtimeout" on the dev mailing list and I'm wondering if this would be a good module to deal with a problem I'm seeing.

On one of our server I see a ddos where one IP seems to create lots of new connections to Apache which all show up as "Reading Request" and a with a Client IP of "?".

The "timeout" directive doesn't work and I'm wondering why since apparently it has already received the new connection (hence the entry in server-status) yet it cannot determine the IP of the connection?

Would mod_reqtimeout be able to handle this case? What I'm basically looking for is a way to set a timeout for any sort of connection to be discarded by Apache if the request hasn't been completely sent in 5 seconds.

Regards,
  Dennis