Re: Options for multiple SSL domains on 1 server

----- "Grant" <emailgrant@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> The "virtualhost for each SSL host" is what I mean by separate
> >> apache2
> >> configs. ÂI'd like to be able to define different domain names on
> the
> >> fly within my perl scripts without changing apache2 config. ÂMaybe
> >> we're just not there yet?
> >
> > You can also use things like mod_macro to enable that kind of
> flexibility.
>
> I looked at mod_macro but it seems to essentially be a framework for
> setting and reading variable values within the apache2 config files.
> What I'd like to do is allow new SSL domains to be defined from the
> web in an automatic fashion without the need for SSH access.  At this
> point I'm thinking something that generates a new vhost config file
> for each domain name would be perfect.  It could use a template for
> each file and just change the IP address and SSL certificate/key
> references.  Does something like this exist?

Aaaha...

An (SSL) VHost is just a couple of lines.. depending on your setup
either the IP/Cert/ServerName (IP Based) or only the ServerName
(SubjectAltName)

One way or the other, you can define a pattern:

<Macro SSLVhost $servername $ip>

    <VirtualHost $ip:443>
        ServerName $servername
        DocumentRoot /srv/web/$servername/htdocs
        SSLEngine On
        SSLCertificateChainFile /etc/pki/ssl/$servername.pem
        ErrorLog /var/log/httpd/$servername/error_log
    </VirtualHost>

</Macro>

, and then

Use SSLVhost servername IP

In some or the other file. That's one line you have to add -- and then you do an
apachectl graceful.

> I've read references to "pre-processing apache2 config files with
> perl".  Is that the way to go here?

Yes, sjorge toyed with this option and created some kind of monster..
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/ApacheVirtualHostMysql

This might give you an idea..

> - Grant
>

> >> Why would you use multiple IPs instead of X.509 v3 with
> >> subjectAltName? ÂDoes subjectAltName have any drawbacks?
> >
> > Though more widely spread, it's the same as for SNI:
> > It's not supported by all Browsers/libraries
> >
> > One example that comes to my mind is serf.

Igor GaliÄ

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx