Re: Debian Lenny + MaxRequestsPerChild

----- "Thomas Lindgren" <thomas.lindgren@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We just upgraded to Debian Lenny and saw some unexpected behaviour
> from an Apache node running a mod_perl2 app which I hope someone here
> can explain.
>
> After running the system for a short while, the server stops accepting
> requests. Checking the system, we can see that all workers have
> disappeared but the apache2 parent process remains alive. There's no
> relevant information in the access or error logs. After some
> experimentation, we have also found that if we restart the server with
> MaxRequestsPerChild set to zero, it seems to keep going. It thus looks
> like the workers stop after serving MaxRequestsPerChild, then are not
> restarted.
>
> So, any ideas about what's going on or how to troubleshoot this would
> be appreciated.

Can you get a strace from the parent once, or shortly before it reaches
such a state?

gdb would also be a plus...

gcore $pid etc..

It could also be that some of Debian's patches are causing this..

you could try to compile (the latest versions of) httpd and mod_perl2
and see if you can reproduce this behaviour.

(See https://scm.brainsware.org/svn/webstack/linux/Makefile on how
to compile for Debian)

But before going down that rourte ith might be worth elaborating
what your httpd does, other then serve a mod_perl2 application.
Since you do have a number of other modules loaded which could
be useful or suspects in this case.

--
Igor GaliÄ

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883