Re: Apache 2.2.15 says You do not have permission to view [this file]

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 1:31 PM, adp002 <adp002@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I've been following your conversation about granting too much file access to hackers. I utilize Norton Internet Security Intrusion Protection and to date have had no problems with intruders. I wish to take the risk and set up a symbolic link between htdocs in Program Files and a folder on my desktop....using the System Administrator Prompt, so that I can easily modify files and then save them within htdocs. After setting up the administrative-level symbolic link, what directives in conf.ini for Apache 2.2.15 would I need to change? Thanks.
> PS. I do take frequent full system image backups, so I'm willing to take a risk, as I mentioned. Thanks again.

You should just add an Alias and a <Directory> block to your
configuration to access a directory outside of your document root.
The contents of the <Directory> should look just like the one you
already have for your DocumentRoot.
If it does't work, read your error log and followup here along with
your configuration and what URL you're requesting.

> Alan

Eric Covener
covener@xxxxxxxxx