is there a way to cache authorized content?

mod_cache can not cache authorized content because the mod_cache handler hook happens very early in the HTTP request cycle. We would like to cache content for our authorized subscribers. The files (moderate sized PDFs) are stored on an NFS server and we would like to use a local cache with all the features mod_cache provides.

- Is there another apache cacheing module that one could use instead which registers itself later, perhaps even simply as a content handler?

- I have seen some threads dated 2004 and 2009 that discuss a similar issue. Is there a patch of some sort to mod_cache that would allow it to register into a later phase?

Thanks,

  - Alex Aminoff
    BaseSpace.net
    National Bureau of Economic Research (nber.org)