Re: Troubleshooting namebased virtual websites

I agree. with that observation..not finding virtual hosts....I followed this example from the debian tutorials:
Changing the www.example.com, .net, .org to match my domain names.

I created a file in /etc/apache2/conf.d/virtual.conf   which contains exactly this:
#
# Running multiple virtual hosts
NameVirtualHost *
# EOF

My understand is that the wildcard '*' will match any incoming page request, and the server name is part of the page request packet from the browser client.
So then, Apache will have a name string to match....but, from what file does it do the matching?  I assume that it goes to each file in the sites-available directory that is made 'live' by the sites-enabled directory (via the symbolic link....)  True?

Perhaps I have a rogue domain name running around somewhere.....in some config file...

Clarification please: 'host name' is not the same as 'ServerName' ?? True??
I am getting confused in the mapping I think...
If I type 'hostname' I get: ubuntuserver.homeunix.com
If I type 'hostname -fqd' I get: localhost
the FQDNs  I want to match to (as specified in webhosting at dyndns) are:
2150sunshine.homeip.net
5511phillips.homeip.net
5513phillips.homeip.net
All of them map from my isp generated domain 24.xxx.xxx.xxx to my server box local ip: 192.168.0.110.

So, the *only* place I should have the FQDNs that I want to serve are in my site-enabled 'configuration file' that corresponds to each FQDN? Correct?
and default should not contain any of the FQDNs, Correct?

-John

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 4:58 PM, John Hudak <jjhudak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yes, that is what is causing me to scratch my head....Why is it looking for
> '/htdocs'....
>
> The log files in the /logs directory are there for each namebased domain.  I
> assume apache put them there when I restarted apache because I did not (I
> just created the directories).  The log files are empty. So no, no error
> information of any sort was written to the log files for any of the three
> domains. The errors appear in: var/log/apache2/error.log.  I don't know of
> any other logs to look at that may be helpful.
>
> Sorry, I should have stated this in the initial post.
> -J

That would suggest it isn't making it to the vhost.

I'm not au fait with debian/*buntu apache configuration layout, but do
you have a line like 'NameVirtualHost *' somewhere in the apache conf?
If you are using '<VirtualHost *>' then you should have exactly one
'NameVirtualHost *' line in the config, otherwise it will not be doing
name based virtual hosting.

Cheers

Tom