Re: Re: Execute CGI (or FastCGI or PHP) on missing target file

On 09/07/10 09:41, Joost Heer, de wrote:
Specifically, what I'd like to do is to be able to execute one named CGI
(probably under FastCGI) where Apache cannot find an existing target
file (ideally with named extensions like .html but that's not so
important) after URL-path translation phase.

ErrorDocument 404 /cgi-bin/template.cgi

See http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/custom-error.html for environment variables you can use in the CGI.

Joost

Doh. Why didn't I think of that - seems very simple and elegant :)

I've just read it through and I don't see any problems (I presume I can stop it sending a 404 code - I'll look into that).

Jut have to toss up between HTML::Template and Mason now.

One immediate advantage to using a smart templating system is I can hide the page menus from the Google Spider which should improve the indexing of the site (right now, Google guesses the main target page pretty well but lists lots of the other pages too if the keyword is a menu item).

Thank you very much Joost :)

Cheers

Tim