Problem with <IfModule> in Apache httpd 2.2

I've been assigned (yay!) to support a homebrew Apache module that is used
by some external customers.  One customer is reporting that the <IfModule>
tag is failing to recognize that the module is loaded.

He has these lines in the config:

  <IfModule spiffy_module>
    SpiffyVariable1 abc
    SpiffyVariable2 xyz
    SpiffyVariable3 123
  </IfModule>

The variables are not being set, and the module returns a 500 Server Error
because it needs those settings to do its work.

However if the <IfModule> tags are commented out like so:

  #<IfModule spiffy_module>
    SpiffyVariable1 abc
    SpiffyVariable2 xyz
    SpiffyVariable3 123
  #</IfModule>

The variables do get set and the module is happy.

Strangely, though, when he runs apachectl -M the module name DOES show up
in the list.

I think this could be an Apache version issue, as this is the only customer
running 2.2.  All of our other customers are running Apache 1.3, or 2.0
with legacy 1.3 compatibility, and the module was written for Apache 1.3.
Some work has been done to update it to 2.0, but I don't know how
comprehensive that work was.  I've been assigned to work on that too (yay!)

On a more general note, can anyone suggest some resources for converting
1.3 modules to 2.2?  I've found some documentation out on the web but it
does not appear to be very complete.

Thanks!

--
John Gordon                   A is for Amy, who fell down the stairs
gordon@xxxxxxxxx              B is for Basil, assaulted by bears