rewrite rule for mingle

Hi,
 I am using a backend server to serve an application which is running
on apache and another apache which is front end to users coming from
internet.
So the back end server is hidden from outside.

I want if some one types in URL

http://site1.mydomain.com/application
then they be redirected to internal server which is running
/application on port 8080
this application server always does not have /application in URL

If some one types
http://site1.mydomain.com
and not
http://site1.mydomain.com/application
then in both cases they are seeing the same page.
Which should not happen.

Now the problem is I have written a ReWriteRule as following

   <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
         ReWriteEngine on
         ReWriteRule /application/(.*) - [L]
         RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://site1.mydomain.com:8080/$1 [P,L]
     </IfModule>

/application gives a login screen after some one logs in /application
is not present on the URL of client browser
only http://site1.mydomain.com is present.
What is the problem in above ReWriteRule.

--
Tapas