Setting Up Virtual Host Help Needed on WinXP

Howdy,

I'm new to Apache web server. I have installed Apache 2.2.15 on my Windows development computer to become familiar with using it to run my web sites locally. The live production server will run them on a linux box under Apache, so I want to get used to working with Apache in my development environment.

I have Apache running locally and tested it by hitting http://localhost/ in my browser and getting the "It works!" web page. Now I want to simply hit an index.html page in the top-level directory that will hold all of my sites. On my development box in Windows XP, I have all of my sites under d:\webapps\myapps (e.g. d:\webapps\myapps\site1, d:\webapps\myapps\site2, etc.). I have put a dummy index.html page under d:\webapps\myapps\ and attempted to set up a virtual host pointing to it but it isn't working for me.

Here's what I have in my httpd-vhosts.conf file (which is being included in the httpd.conf file):

NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
    DocumentRoot "D:/webapps/myapps/"
    ServerName myapps
    ErrorLog "logs/myapps-error.log"
    CustomLog "logs/myapps-access.log" common
</VirtualHost>

Now when I hit http://myapps/index.html in my browser, it redirects to http://www.myapps.com/index.html with a page not found error.

Clearly, I'm not understanding how this works. Am I supposed to have an entry for myapps in the Windows hosts file (e.g. 127.0.0.1 myapps)?

Any assistance in helping this Apache newbie to get started on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

--
Best regards,

Chris Montgomery