Trusting another server's certificate

I successfully setup Apache Web Server, mod_ssl and mod_jk so that Apache acts as the load balancer for a cluster of Tomcat(based) servers - using self-signed certificates.  This means that I created Apache's certificates with openssl and Tomcat's with Java's keytool.

Two of my applications communicate with each other via HTTPS, and the servers must trust each other.  For the Tomcat server to trust the Apache server all I need to do is import the Apache certificate into the keystore (and/or cacerts).

How do I make Apache trust the Tomcat server so that app-to-app HTTPS calls work?  Or do I even need to?

Thanks