Re: Redirect question

What happens if you try

NameVirtualHost 1.2.3.4:80
<VirtualHost 1.2.3.4:80>
ServerName server.example.com
ServerAlias application.example.com

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^application.example.com$
Redirect permanent / http://server.example.com/application
</VirtualHost>

if Redirect command doesn't work you can try

RewriteRule / http://server.example.com/application [R=301,L]

instead.

Igor

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 11:49 PM, <John.C.Kennedy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I get the same looping result. (I shortened application to app because
> I am too lazy to type all that!):
> The requested URL
> /appappappappappappappappappappappappappappappappappappappappapp was
> not found on this server.

Did you remove any other Redirect rules in your VirtualHost container? I
don't see how the above config could possibly cause a redirect like you
are seeing, because once the redirect is made, the browser is no longer
requesting
http://application/ (it's requesting
http://server/application). This rewrite only applies when the host name
is "application".

--
Justin Pasher

No other redirects in in place.
We are wondering (and, yes, I probably should have mentioned this) if the fact that we are using mod_jk is having an effect.
Basically, this server uses mod_jk to point to 1 of 2 Tomcat5 servers for load balancing. I don't think it should cause a problem since the redirect happens before mod_jk does it's magic but maybe I am wrong in thinking that???
John

2 VirtualHost containers we have tried:

NameVirtualHost 1.2.3.4
<VirtualHost 1.2.3.4>