compiling a portable Apache build for Linux

Good Afternoon -

Apache Version:  httpd-2.2.15
Linux Version:  Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.4 (Tikanga) / 2.6.18-164.el5xen

I'm attempting to compile a version of apache_2 httpd binary that is agnostic of the directory it's run from and will look for its configuration files local to the binary's run location. (Example:  ./httpd will look for httpd.conf local to my run location reguardless of prefix).

At compile time, I'm required to provide a --prefix= directory or configure will assume that I want it installed by default in /usr/local/apache.  I've tried to compile using --prefix=./ but this fails with " configure: error: expected an absolute directory name for --prefix: ."

I know I can create an alternative directory structure and use the -d and -f flags with ./httpd to identify alternate prefix directory and httpd.conf locations at runtime but I want to avoid having to pass these variables.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers-
Sandy

Sandy D. Voellinger
Neustar, Inc. / Applications Support and Systems Administration, Operations & Engineering, DECE
46000 Center Oak Plaza Sterling, VA 20166
Office: +1.571.434.3412  Mobile: +1.703.568.3450  Fax: +1.571.434.XXXX / Sandy.Voellinger@xxxxxxxxxxx  / www.neustar.biz