Change authentication information

Hi,

i' ve two machines, (A) is on the Internet site, which is a reverse proxy for (B). There is a user based authentication, and i' d like (A) to change the authentication details (only the username). So, for example if john comes, and tries to authenticate itself as john on server (A), i' d like (A) to change the username to ext-john. It should be transparent for (B), so (B) should get only ext-john as a username. If there' s any other solution, please let me know.

Anyway, i tried to find a solution with mod_header and mod_sed, but the latest one cannot change the header, and the former one, well, with that i couldn' t catch the username.

I hope there' s a simplier way to do it, than learn how to write an apache modul, and write my own.

Thank You for any comment,
 Tamas.