Re: .htaccess functionalities

At 10:47 -0500 4/25/10, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/htaccess.html
>
>If you point out what is confusing you, someone is more likely to fix the docs
>to make them clearer.

The link starts with this:
.htaccess files provide a way to make configuration changes on a per-directory basis.

The immediate question is "why would anyone want to do that?"

I believe the answer is that hosting facilities which serve multiple users from a single machine running a single copy of apache can choose to have each user responsible for his own "root" HTML directory that gets identified by the IP address to which the HTTP request is aimed.

In principle I could change how apache works, for me only, on my shared server by creating a .htaccess file in my home directory or perhaps in the document root for my hosted web site. Someday I'll try but I would assume that my hosting service has set some limits on just what I can do, perhaps nothing.

The tutorial might better be directed to users such as me rather that assuming that I would understand the phrases "per-directory" and "per document directory" which tend to result in looking for another page rather than reading down where "no root access" gets mentioned.

But then I might still be confused so don't take this too seriously.

--

--> A fair tax is one that you pay but I don't <--