Re: Apache/2.2.13 : Starting httpd: (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80 error

On 04/03/10 10:12, Ravi Roy wrote:

On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 9:55 AM, Nilesh Govindarajan <lists@xxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:lists@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 04/03/10 09:38, Ravi Roy wrote:
    <snip>

            Try using the /sbin/service command instead of this.

            Also, your httpd is self compiled or installed using yum ?

            And did you make any alterations (or created)
        /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd ?

        Thanks Nilesh,
        I tried ;
        command : sudo /sbin/service httpd restart
        Error message :
        Stopping httpd:                                            [FAILED]
        Starting httpd: (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not
        bind to
        address 0.0.0.0:80 <http://0.0.0.0/> <http://0.0.0.0:80
        <http://0.0.0.0/>>

        Unable to open logs
                                                                    [FAILED]
        I compiled httpd server is myself on CentOS 5.4, I did not make any
        alterations to /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd.
        Thanks
        -RR

    Check if rpm -q httpd gives some response ?

    If it does, you've found the bug. There are two versions of httpd
    installed in your OS.

    One is compiled by you and one installed by yum.

    Now what is happening that, your compiled version I suppose located
    at /usr/local/apache2, is started somehow, whereas the yum version
    isn't running.

    Now when you try to issue commands to apache using /etc/rc.d scripts
    or the service command, it will try to start apache from /usr/sbin
    instead of /usr/local/apache2/bin and that's why you are getting
    this error. Your apache (compiled) daemon is already listening on
    port 80, and the init script tries to bind it.

    The only solution to this is you remove yum's edition using:

    yum remove httpd

    This _will_ remove /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd as well.

    You will have to use /usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl to control the
    apache daemon.

  Thanks Nilsesh again for quick response.
   Command : sudo rpm -q httpd
    Response :
    httpd-2.2.3-31.el5.centos.4
yes you are right; my compiled version is installed under
/usr/local/Apache2
I will remove the compiled version and let you know the results.
Thanks again!
-RR

Do not remove the compiled version !

The version provided by CentOS is very old and *may* contain a lot of security holes and other bugs.

Keep softwares up to date, so that you don't fall prey to hackers.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Administrator