Re: Optimizing mod_fcgid

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Nilesh Govindarajan <lists@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 03/23/2010 07:26 PM, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
>>
>> On 03/23/2010 07:20 PM, Jeff Trawick wrote:

>>> Aren't APC and Xcache similar with respect to mod_fcgid, in that the
>>> cache will be utilized for repeated execution by the same PHP process,
>>> such that the cache is still useful as long as the PHP process spawned
>>> by mod_fcgid remains active for as long as possible?
>>>
>>> (mod_fcgid's mapping of requests to idle processes it has spawned
>>> negates the use of a single such cache for multiple concurrent
>>> requests.)

>> Yeah true. I think I don't need it after you said this. :)
>>
>> Is even memcached the same wrt mod_fcgid, apc, xcache ?
>>

> I found that its not the same and it can't be used as a cache for compiled
> scripts.
>
> mod_fcgid really is infinite times better than mod_fastcgi.

For PHP opcode caching, which relies on access to a shared memory
cache via the PHP FastCGI process management, mod_fcgid is at a big
disadvantage to mod_fcgid: mod_fastcgi can send multiple simultaneous
requests to those PHP-managed processes but mod_fcgid can't; thus, the
cache won't be as well utilized with mod_fcgid.

I have read numerous statements that mod_fcgid is faster than
mod_fastcgi, but I don't know precisely why (or when), or if each is
optimally configured when compared to the other.