Locked Apache configuration file

I am migrating to a new PC that runs Windows 7 and try reinstalling the Apache/PHP environment that I use to develop and test my website. Apache 2.2.15 no SSL. PHP 5.2.12. This same combination was used on my old XP machine. Installation did not give any special problems. Apache has not been configured as a service, but to start as a task when I ask. However, when I now want to edit the configuratution file, the file is locked. It is not read procted as such, but some process seems to use it. I stopped more or less everyting on the machine, checked all processes that are still running, but did not find any potential culprit. Apart from the OS, all other installed stuff is pretty much the same. Any suggestion?

MarcB