Re: Slow apache proxy performance.

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 19:28, Keith Theman <xray316@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running apache 2.2.10 with mod_proxy enabled. We are config'd to run as
> a reverse proxy.
>
> Client
> reverse proxy
> application server
> database
>

> Everything works fine, except when the application being proxied returns a
> large data set (an oracle query result in an html table) back to the client.
> The page returns, but takes 15 seconds++. If you go directly to the backend
> application server application, and run the same query function, it is
> returned in under 5 seconds, if not 2 seconds.
>
> So it "seems" that the proxy is chewing up 10+ seconds. Can anyone recommend
> a means of troubleshooting or isolating the problem? I did not turn caching
> on.

Two questions:

1. Do you refer to the backend app server by IP address (whether it be
IPv4 or IPv6)? If by name, how long does it take, on the proxying
server, to obtain the IP address from the name (use the "host" command
to find out, since it will use the full resolver library)?
2. Do you use keepalive when proxying? If no, why not?

--

Francis Galiegue
ONE2TEAM