RE: Encryption key size

From: Jeff Trawick Sent: March 17, 2010 11:10

> Exactly where are you/your software looking for it to be set?

First a little background infor that may help explain things...

We are a PROGRESS shop and are using their WebSpeed package. WebSpeed
provides us the ability to write programs as either augmented HTML or
as 4GL programs that output HTML (we use the former). Our development
system uses a CentOS 4.8 server for the database and CUI programs,
Windows PCs for GUI development and a Windows 200 Server for a web
sever and web development. The QA and live environments run on two
RHEL 5.4 servers, one for a database server & CUI program host and
one for a web server.

The WebSpeed programs run in CGI mode for both the IIS and Apache web
servers. Within our programs we can interrogate any of the standard
CGI and OS environment variables. On IIS I can get the HTTPS_KEYSIZE
value to determine the encryption key size but I have not been able
to find anything similar on Apache that will work. I had tried
SSL_CIPHER_ALGKEYSIZE in the past but it never returned a value and
now it appears the CompatEnvVars directive that was supposed to
generate this environment variable has been deprecated.

Here is a list of the CGI variables that I can see when using an HTTPS
connection:

AUTH_TYPE*:
CONTENT_LENGTH*:  12
CONTENT_TYPE*:  application/x-www-form-urlencoded
DLC:  /usr/dlc91e
DOCUMENT_ROOT:  /var/www/faq
GATEWAY_INTERFACE*:  CGI/1.1
HTTPS:  on
HTTP_ACCEPT*:  image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg,
application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, application/vnd.ms-excel, application/msword,
application/x-shockwave-flash, */*
HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING:  gzip, deflate
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE:  en-ca
HTTP_CACHE_CONTROL:  no-cache
HTTP_CONNECTION:  Keep-Alive
HTTP_COOKIE*:  safeSessionID=ddjjVkjKlbdmgkCi6794
HTTP_HOST:  <value intentionally masked>
HTTP_REFERER*:  <value intentionally masked>
HTTP_USER_AGENT*:  Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; .NET
CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)
nokeepalive:  1
PATH:  /sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin
PATH_INFO*:  /webtools/session.w
PATH_TRANSLATED*:  /var/www/faq/webtools/session.w
PROMSGS:  /usr/dlc91e/promsgs
PWD:  /var/www/cgi-bin
QUERY_STRING*:
REMOTE_ADDR*:  192.168.2.30
REMOTE_HOST*:
REMOTE_IDENT*:
REMOTE_PORT:  1388
REMOTE_USER*:
REQUEST_METHOD*:  POST
REQUEST_URI:  /cgi-bin/faq/webtools/session.w
SCRIPT_FILENAME:  /var/www/cgi-bin/faq
SCRIPT_NAME*:  /cgi-bin/faq
SERVER_ADDR:  192.168.4.1
SERVER_ADMIN:  <value intentionally masked>
SERVER_NAME*:  <value intentionally masked>
SERVER_PORT*:  443
SERVER_PROTOCOL*:  HTTP/1.1
SERVER_SIGNATURE:  <address>Apache/2.2.3 (Red Hat) Server at faq.forsoft.com
Port 443</address>
SERVER_SOFTWARE*:  Apache/2.2.3 (Red Hat)
SHLVL:  1
ssl_unclean_shutdown:  1
useConnID:  0
WRKDIR:  /usr/wrk91e