Exiting process doesn't trigger ErrorDocument 500

Hello

I'm running Perl programs in mod_perl in Apache (2.2) on RHEL, using the prefork MPM.
I want to protect my server against Perl processes that grow much too large, as they can slow or even freeze the system. So I've setup an address space resource limit via Perl's Apache2::SizeLimit. Processes that grow to large die with "Out of Memory!" and "Callback called exit."
I had hoped to give some users some feedback via Apache's ErrorDocument (also described in Custom Error Response). While that can run local Perl (in a new process of course) as in the example
       ErrorDocument 500 /cgi-bin/crash-recover.pl
exiting process doesn't trigger ErrorDocument 500.
Alternatively, I tried to output status to users via a SIG handler for __DIE__, but STDERR is closed by the time the SIG handler runs.

Is there a way to configure this, or another way to provide some error output to a browser that sent a Request that caused the server process to die?

BR