Re: mod_php script 'queue'

2010/3/12 Reese <howell.r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On 12-Mar-10 13:49, Jonathan Zuckerman wrote:
On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 9:36 AM, Reese <howell.r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 12-Mar-10 11:31, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 6:49 PM, Bruno - e-comBR <bruno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

 It's causing a little throuble for me. When a PHP script generates a
bigger
report(taking about ten minutes or more), the user seems to be impatient.
They're doing refreshs on the page. So, for each refresh apache is
queuing a
new script, and just begin running this when the queue is empty again.

What do you suggest me?

Thank you,
Bruno Moreira Guedes

I don't use mod_php, so don't know about its behavior. But I recommend
you inform the users that the report can take upto ten minutes to
generate and to be patient. That's the only solution I see.

Else, if you can make the PHP script 'smart' in some way so that a
popup or other visual indicator will give constant, visual feedback
on the progress of the request. With a "Cancel" button that functions
to kill the original request while blocking page refreshes. They can
start over from scratch if they like.

Reese

Is there any way to cache the report?

You could get the parameters sorted out, then create a cron job
from it and feed it to a .log file. This log file could be made
available to administrators only, the world or something in
between, depending on where in the file system it is located and
the associated permissions.

To eventually ensure the user sees the report when it's done being
generated, you could do some fancy Keep-alive with the http request, or just
have some _javascript_ on the page that automatically reloads it, and upon
reload the script will check to see if there's a report built for that user,
otherwise it checks to see if there's a lock.  If there's a lock, it stops
and waits to try again soon.  If there is no lock, it starts a new report.

Or compress and store or mail it to them (and others?), starting a new
log file after each clock cycle.

This is starting to feel like reinventing HTTP access logs. We got off
track somewhere.

Reese